The Neuroscience Minor is a rigorous interdisciplinary minor focusing on the neural bases of psychological, biological, anthropological, philosophical, and communicative processes. Course selections are comprised of upper-level courses in the Departments of Psychology, Biology, Philosophy, Anthropology, and Communicative Disorders. The Neuroscience Minor is recommended for students majoring in one of these departments with a GPA of at least 3.0, have sophomore standing, and have completed at least 15 credit hours at UA.
Students are expected to formally declare a minor by completing the Change of Major/Minor Application online under the Student tab of MyBama.
(1) Eighteen (18) hours from the approved course list (below) must be taken.
(2) No credit hours can be counted towards both a major and the Neuroscience minor.
(3) No more than 9hrs from the minor may be completed in a single department.
(4) A 2.0 grade point average in the minor is required.
ANT 474 Neuroanthropology
BSC 300 Cell Biology
BSC 449 Endocrinology
BSC 448 Animal Behavior
BSC 424 Human Physiology
CD 462 Neuroscience for Communicative Disorders
PHL 392 Neuroethics
PHL 462 Neural Basis of Consciousness
PY 313 Sensation and Perception
PY381 Cognitive Neuroscience
PY 413 Physiological Psychology
PY353 Biological Bases of Psychological Disorders
Note: Topical courses focusing on neuroscience may be approved to meet course requirements
Students should complete course prerequisites for approved courses in the Neuroscience Minor. However, instructors offering courses in the minor may waive prerequisites to students who have demonstrated strong academic performance and have completed background courses in biological or psychological sciences to complete neuroscience courses in other departments. Students should contact the course instructor with their name, completed courses, and course grades.
Students are responsible for ensuring that they have met all University, College, major and minor requirements. However, each student must meet with an adviser in the major department for academic planning and to be approved for registration each semester. College advisers are also available for additional assistance with minor, College and University requirements.
Faculty members who are engaging in neuroscience research are listed below.
- Ian McDonough http://immcdonough.people.ua.edu/
- Andrea Glenn http://aglenn.people.ua.edu/
- Alexa Tullett http://atullett.people.ua.edu/
- Caitlin Hudac: http://cmhudac.people.ua.edu/
- Sharlene Newman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Randall Salekin: http://rsalekin.people.ua.edu/
- Katie Garrison: email@example.com
- Rajesh Kana: https://cbra.ua.edu/
For Questions please contact Dr. Kana: firstname.lastname@example.org