The goal of the doctoral concentration in social psychology is to train individuals for a variety of academic and applied settings. Research emphases within the concentration include attitudes, affect and motivation, goals and self-regulation, social cognition, social neuroscience, social-clinical interface, social-emotional development, preventive health, emotion-cognition interaction, and program evaluation.
For more details, see the social psychology curriculum.
Coordinator: Dr. Will Hart
The social psychology concentration consists of core faculty in the Department of Psychology and affiliated faculty from the Institute for Social Science Research.
Find a complete list of social psychology faculty in the department directory.
Ample research opportunities exist for students in the social psychology concentration. In addition, all students complete a supervised practicum in the Teaching of Psychology, one component of which is full responsibility for a course in Introduction to Psychology (PY 101). Students also have the opportunity to teach undergraduate Social Psychology (PY 372) and other undergraduate courses.
The deadline for applying to the graduate program is December 15 for admission for the following fall.
Resources and Events
- Contemporary Issues in Social Psychology (Brown Bag): We meet on Friday from 3:00–4:00pm in 178 Gordon Palmer. Please see the schedule for the weekly seminar for UA faculty and graduate students.
- Resources for Grad Students: This page offers a wealth of departmental, UA, and general psychology links, including Stat-Help, Research Randomizer, and RefWorks.
- Social Psychology Network: Provides to over 5,000 psychology-related sites. Additional information may be found on the subject areas of social psychology, as well as journals, electronic forums, teaching resources, and professional profiles of individual social psychologists.
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP): The largest organization of social and personality psychologists, with over 7,000 members worldwide.
- Questionnaires in Social-Personality Psychology: Compiled by Alan Reifman.
Alumni Charlotte Kinrade and Taylor Popp joined our graduate program in Fall 2019. Charlotte works with Dr. Will Hart, and Taylor works with Dr. Phil Gable.
Fill out our Alumni Update Form to let us know what you’re up to.